Monday, January 18, 2010

Play Dough!!!

We had a very busy weekend-Emily was a flower girl in Ben's cousin Jenny's wedding! It was a gorgeous wedding, and I will be uploading pictures and video soon!
Because we were still adjusting to being back at home and getting out of the vacation fog, we were slow moving today! I decided that it might be fun to make up a batch of play dough after lunch.
It is SUPER easy and VERY cheap! Most of the ingredients are those that you probably already have in your pantry. Thankfully my neighbor had some cream of tartar that she let me borrow (Thanks Paula!)---I see HUGE containers of cream of tartar in my future! I will NEVER purchase "PlayDoh" again!!!
Here are the directions if you want to try it yourself:

Ingredients:
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups water
Food Coloring


In a medium sized sauce pan add the dry ingredients:





Next add the oil and water

Using a wooden spoon over medium heat, stir mixture-it will be liquidy at first



Add food coloring (I didn't have any liquid food coloring-I only had icing coloring, which is sort of like a gel--it did the trick, but I am going to get some liquid food coloring for next time)
Add as much or as little as desired, until you acieve the color you like.
As the mixture begins to heat up, you will notice the lumps getting larger in size and the mixture more difficult to stir-continue stirring
When it is almost 1 big lump and begins separating from the sides of the pan, pour onto counter.  Cool for a few minutes.



Once cooled, kneed by hand for a few minutes.  Place in air tight container.


(Please excuse the smudge on the container--this has become my crafting bowl-most recently, I mixed shaving cream and glue in it!)

So there you have it!  CHEAP and EASY play dough!  My girls LOVED making it and will have even more fun playing with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment