Thursday, January 28, 2010

A little pantry crafting....



I admit it....I have become a little obsessed with making art supplies from things in my pantry.  I get all excited every time I find a new recipe or empty a new little jar!  My husband has been laughing hysterically at me ever since he caught me going through the recycling bin and pulling things out. "I can USE this" I yell at him!  I am turning into my father a little bit in that aspect, I think!
Today, we decided to make home made water colors.  I cannot get over how quick and easy this was! 
You will need:

*Liquid food coloring
*3 teaspoons light corn syrup
*6 tablespoons cornstarch
*6 tablespoons baking soda
*6 tablespoons white vinegar
(*Adorable helper, though not required, a huge plus!*)

Combine cornstarch, baking soda, vinegar and corn syrup in a bowl---get ready to witness a little science experiment---it fizzes and foams!



Pour into small containers.  You can use whatever you want for this!  We used an old mustard jar, and leftover crayola paint containers.  If you want to make small amounts, lids and egg cartons (the styrofoam ones) would work well.


Add food coloring--as much or as little as you would like.  We decided this go around that we would just do primary colors.  We tried stirring with toothpicks at first, but realized that shaking worked better


Adorable helper #2 (who previously wanted nothing to do with the recipe, came running when she saw shaking involved!)


Allow the paints to dry, or cover to keep them moist. 

Ta-Da!


They really do work!  I tried them out!  Add this to our list of things we will NEVER buy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment