Thursday, March 6, 2014

Maybe She's Born With It.....

Or maybe she's not.  So maybe instead, she buys tons and tons of products to try to fake that she's born with it. 
Just sayin'.
You'll see what I mean.
Okay, so I know I have been MIA.  That's not really the case though.  It's more like I've been GIBOS.  What's that????  GOING INSANE BECAUSE OF SNOW!!!!
I can't handle the snow anymore.  I know I live in PA and this is somewhat "normal" I guess, but I'm not cut out for it.  I need to see grass.  I need the temperature to be above 32 degrees on a consistent basis.  Little things, really.  
Anyway, because of the snow, we have been trapped inside.  Because we have been trapped inside, we have been making messes.  It's like "if you give a mouse a cookie"....one thing just leads to the next.  It's been bad, but I think things are turning around.  The last storm missed us, so there is hope that even Mother Nature is sick of throwing snow at us.
Enough complaining and excuses though.  Onward and upward, right?
So, I saw this thing on Facebook called Forty Bags in Forty Days and I was instantly all about it.  You can read about it here:
The concept is just what it sounds like.  Get rid of 40 bags of stuff in 40 days.  The days happen to coincide with Lent, but you can do this regardless of your religion.  

I started yesterday with my LONG overdue Master Bath re-haul.  I have had bags, (you know the ones-the cute little gift with purchase bags and travel makeup bags) FILLED with random make-up items that I have held onto for WAY too long.  Why?  I really have no clue.  Maybe in OFF chance that I would need metallic silver eyeshadow again?  That happens oh so much around here (insert sarcastic snort)
I decided, after nagging my 8 year old to stop hoarding things, that maybe I should take my own advice and set an example.  
So....here are some before pictures.  Let's just analyze together, shall we?



Here is a peek at all the random bags.  I wasn't joking.  They were all full of stuff too.  It looks like at one point, they were dedicated to certain things, but that went out the window.  NONE of this was used on a daily basis.  Not even an monthly basis!

Moving on.... All of THESE were found in a bin that had a label on it that said "lotions".  I remember that label maker.  It was before kids.  Check out what was taking up the most space:


Sigh...I love me a self tanner.  But 9 different ones?  Um...overkill.

I complain on a DAILY basis about not being able to find a rubber band for my hair, and often have hot pink ones from my daughter's in my hair.  Shouldn't have that problem anymore!

Same thing with bobby pins.  


So you want to see what filled my first bag for the challenge?  Pretty much ALL of this:
(do you see the multiple containers with blue eyeshadow?  Why, just why?  I know I bought some when Emily was an Egyptian for Halloween.  Then I bought MORE when Allie was an Egyptian, but still....why?)
Seriously?


"My name's Janell....I love lipstick.  If I don't have it, I go ballistic"....that was my intro when I was a pledge for my sorority.  Something never change.


I don't know if you can see it, but there were 4 purple eyeliners there.  4.  

So anyway....you get the picture.  
I know everyone is aware, but just in case, I wanted to remind you that makeup DOES have a shelf life.  Here is a handy Expiration Guide to help you out.
Needless to say, the majority of what you see above was expired and thrown out. 

I have this great cabinet in my bathroom, that before yesterday looked like this:

Pretty much a hot mess of disorganization.  

After cleaning everything out and moving it around, it now looks like this:

Yay!  So much better!

And my makeup?  Well, it is all current and in one place:


I was able to clear out space in my cabinet and it fits perfectly.

So there are a couple of morals to this story. 
1. Don't hoard makeup.  There is no use. 
2. Don't judge.  Don't ever judge.
3. Don't ever feel embarrassed to have me over to your house.  Clearly I have seen some messes of my own making!

I'd love to see your messes!  Share them with  me!  Are you doing the #40bagsin40days challenge?  Tell me about it!

Next up....coupons!  




1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Looks amazing! good job. Can't wait to see your coupon mess! Makes me feel a little better about my own disaster

    ReplyDelete